Frederick Street Dental Care is a family friendly clinic with an excellent reputation for providing with all aspects of highest standard of NHS dentistry to our patients in a relaxed and compassionate environment in the heart of historic Edinburgh City Centre.
NEW NHS PATIENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME
Healthy teeth, gums and good oral hygiene are important for life and we firmly believe that everyone should have access to good quality, NHS dental services at hand. If you are new in the area or work around locally and looking to register with an NHS Dentist Edinburgh, then contact us, we are always delighted to welcome new patients to register with our practice and benefit from the excellent service and high quality personalised dental care being provided to our NHS patients.
WILL I HAVE TO PAY FOR NHS TREATMENT?
Unless you are in one of the groups entitled to free NHS dental treatment or help with the cost you will require to pay 80% of the cost of your NHS dental treatment up to a maximum of £384 per course of treatment. Please note that NHS Fee structure is complex and varies considerably from patient to patient depending of the treatment required.
Some patients qualify for full or partial exemption from dental charges. It’s always wise to ask if you feel you might qualify for such an exemption – our staff will be happy to help you. You can get free NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts, you are:
- Are under the age of 18 years old
- Are aged 18 and in full-time education
- Are named on a valid maternity exemption certificate
- Are named on a valid HC2 certificate
- Are named on a valid HC3 certificate
- Are, or your partner is, getting universal credit
- Are, or your partner is, getting income -related employment support allowance.
- Are, or your partner is, getting tax credits and meeting qualifying conditions partial htlp
- Have had a baby in the previous 12 months, or have had a stillborn baby in the previous 12 months
- If you are named on a valid HC3 certificate you might get some help towards the cost of your NHS dental treatment.
NHS DENTAL FEE
NHS prices are set by Scottish government and are the same for every NHS Dentist in Scotland. Examination appointments are free on NHS; however, other dental fees vary from patient to patient depending on the type of the treatment required. To find out more about getting free NHS dental treatment or any other information please call at NHS helpline 0800224488 or visit NHS website.
WHAT IS NOT AVAILABLE ON NHS?
It is important to understand that there are differences between NHS services and those offered privately. For example, our private dental services offer a wider range of treatments and different materials than our NHS services.
Before you begin a course of treatment please make sure you know if you are being treated privately or as an NHS patient. This is likely to affect the price you pay and the level of service you are entitled to in terms of timings and availability.
The NHS service we provide include (but are not limited to):
- Clinical examination and report
- Basic fillings
- Scaling for tartar removal (hygienist not available on NHS)
- Some teeth extractions
- Some basic tooth restorations
- Some basic crown and bridge work
- Root canal treatment (if within the capability of our NHS general dentist)
- Some dentures
Cosmetic treatments are not available on the NHS, but if you wish to find out more about cosmetic dentistry we do offer a wide range of these treatments privately for affordable prices, your dentist will be more than happy to discuss with you. Check out our Dental fee Guide and see what works for you.
The choice between NHS and private dental treatment is yours. If you are unsure about the most suitable route for you and your family, please ask us to explain the differences so that you can make an informed choice and be comfortable with the decision you make.
The Practice is Open 7 Days a Week, including on bank holidays, so you do not need to take time off from work to see us for an appointment. You can book an appointment by calling us on 0131 629 1158 or emailing us.